Homemade Spinach Feta Pie
This yummy recipe was inspired by my good friend and retired chef, Bonnie Mitchell, who first taught me to make spanakopita. Here it my version in a pie crust, just out of the oven, but how did I make it? Here are the simple steps:
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine:
a small container (250ml) ricotta or cottage cheese
half a block crumbled feta (again about 250 ml)
a pinch of salt
a generous amount of dried or fresh dill, to taste (at least 1 1/2 tsp dried dill)
2. While working in this dry steam a bag of spinach in a large pot or pan, maybe half at a time, until wilted.
Let spinach cool, squeeze out excess liquid, and chop.
3. Then add chopped green onions (3-5) or chives (a handful)
4. Mix with the rest of the ingredients.
5. Make a simple pie crust (no French pastry degrees required) from Mollie Katzen’s Moosewood cookbook.
Actually I used whole wheat flour and threw in a tablespoon of brown sugar for good measure.
Here I am being spoiled and using the kitchenaide friends gave me, but this can be done by hand or with a pastry cutter as well.
6. Grease pie plate with butter and place in pie crust.
7. Put filling in crust.
8. Put in preheated 350 C oven for about 40-45 minutes.
9. Enjoy! Would be nice with a side of green or Greek Salad, or even Greek Lentil Stew, but that recipe will be for next time!