Here’s a quick recipe for one of those days when you feel like you have nothing but odds and ends in the cupboard. I usually make this as a black bean and rice bowl in the rice maker, but was missing lots of the essential ingredients…black beans, onions, garlic, salsa….so here’s what I made instead! This recipe was inspired by Robert Irvine’s Red Beans and Rice recipe on the foodnetwork.com.
- First cook a cup of brown rice with two-and-a-half cups of water with a tsp veggie powder, or use veggie broth instead.
- While it is cooking, heat up a large pot with a little olive oil and sauté several chopped sweet peppers (I used yellow), and a chopped red hot pepper.
- Wander into the garden and pick a few cherry tomatoes, 5 or 6, a handful of chives, a some fresh basil.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes and add to the pot. Stir in salt and pepper and a tablespoon of hot sauce.
- Then drain and rinse two cans of kidneys beans and add to the pot.
- After this all cooks for about 10 minutes, add chopped chives and shredded basil.
- Once the rice is ready, mix it all together and serve with corn tortillas or tortilla chips. It’s really yummy….and just spicy enough to give a little heat while retaining lots of flavour. Pretty good for nothing in the cupboard! Can’t believe I cooked without onions and garlic…but it still had flavour! Enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Summer Supper Save ”
And whose cherry tomatoes might those be? 😀
Oh, dear, I hope it’s not like in the Rapunzel fairy tale, where the owner of the garden demands the man’s baby in return for lettuce! 🍅But then she is a witch, rather than a landscape architect, so we can hope the latter are friendlier! 🌲🍃😉🍂🌳
Wow! The photos make it so real! Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 02:13:17 +0000 To: firstname.lastname@example.org